Pages

Wednesday 9 May 2012

James Nizam

Really feeling this guy.
James Nizam is making incredible work based in Vancouver. These pieces are about abandoned houses, of which apparently there are a lot where he comes from. He seeks them out, and precisely cuts into them, transforming them into works of art.

Sometimes he uses mirrors to acquire geometric shapes.
 He uses fog to enhance the living, present nature of the light. I like how he's found the location, taken a deserted, abandoned, disused and 'ugly' thing and altered it so simply into something beautiful. The works exist as photographs which I actually find quite strange. I suppose, he can't exhibit an abandoned house, or keep the smoke machine going forever. But I guess the photographs serve still as reminders that somewhere out there, this exists or existed. I simply can't see the photographs as the final piece here.

No comments:

Post a Comment